What is Befriending?
The aim of the scheme is to offer support for those adults who are experiencing mental or emotional distress, living in the London Borough of Redbridge.
We are looking for people who:
- want to get involved in the community;
- can offer some spare time on a regular (flexible) basis;
- are patient, non-judgemental and sensitive to the needs of others.
What we can offer:
- A positive and rewarding experience;
- A comprehensive training course;
- Group and individual support;
- Out of pocket expenses are reimbursed.
Can you spare a few hours a week working with an adult who has mental health problems?
Following a period of mental or emotional distress many people can be left with a feeling of no sense of purpose, unable to find suitable work and may find themselves socially isolated. These circumstances can generate feelings of low self-esteem and self-worth which in turn significantly impair the quality of life and can make individuals more vulnerable to subsequent episodes of mental distress. Befriending is a way of intervening in this cycle by attempting to offer a form of social contact and friendship which can significantly improve the quality of life for some people
For further information please contact: